Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Crafty Advent Calendars

Yep! My commitment to making every Christmas present this year is blissfully expressed in these first 2 items. I love crafting when I have the time to let my seamstress juices flow....ew, that sounds gross. How about: When I put on my sewing cap.....less gross but it still sounds like I sit up straight, don't swear and am always polite. Definitely not me. A.ny.way. When I rock out my pile of fabric scraps, this is what I love to do. These two are going to my dear niece and nephew who lost their Mama this fall. A lot of the 'ornaments' are jewelry from her collection. I LOVE the idea of creating an heirloom and using all those random jewels that are willing to volunteer themselves to a lifetime of marking the end of the year in a sweet homemade version of an old ritual.

For an actual class in making these charming things...visit my pals Kathie Sever and Bernadette Noll over at http://futurecraftcollective.com/blog.










3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Sarah,
I LOVE these!!! They turned out great and what a special gift this will be and something Oliver and Ruby will treasure forever and look forward to pulling out every year. Miss you guys already!

Kathi D said...

Those are spectacular! All the sweeter with their mama's things on display.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE how these turned out! I used to have a bunch of "memory quilts" that my great grandmother made out of dresses that wore out. I've been trying to save my worn out clothes rather than throwing them away so that I can make stuff out of the scraps, but I've been having trouble coming up with the time to DO anything. Maybe you can use the idea for something, though (if you aren't already).

-Jenna